From councillor Jeff Leiper’s newsletter #213 (May 1 2020):
Mosque noise exemption
As a sign of solidarity and unity, I was pleased yesterday to work with the Mayor’s office and By-law to provide a noise exemption to the Ottawa Mosque to be allowed to broadcast the evening call to prayer for up to five minutes during Ramadan (the last evening of which is May 23). I am assured that the noise level will be very reasonable and am confident this won’t be a disruption in the community. My thoughts are with those celebrating this month who can’t be with each other for iftar dinners and prayer. I’ll be stopping by the Mosque tomorrow to thank volunteers who continue to provide help to the Parkdale Food Centre.
- We have been notified that the previously approved site plan and landscape plan for the Ottawa Mosque on 251 Northwestern, which had lapsed due to lack of funds, will now go forward.
- Part B on the landscape plan pertains to the new lands, which are not currently landscaped.
- the plan is to landscape them now and also to build catch basins.
- Since this was previously reviewed and approved, including by Champlain Park Community Association (CPCA), the City of Ottawa does not feel another public review is required.
- However, at my request, they did allow our CPCA Development Committee to view it again, as it has been dormant since 2008.
- The CPCA Development Committee thinks the attached landscape plan, which includes paving, parking space markings and plantings, including a variety of trees, will greatly enhance the site.
Site and Landscape Plans
Champlain Park Community Association
on Behalf of the Development Committee