Many Thanks to Awesome Volunteers for Halloween Fun Run 2018
Thank you to all of the parents, volunteers, and runners of the Champlain Park Community who came out to run and raise over $900 for Ausome Ottawa on Saturday morning, Oct. 27, 2018. A local charity, Ausome Ottawa provides sports programs for autistic children. Special thanks to Pete Laughton who has organized this event for seven years. Thank you to Adrian Bradley and helpers for hard work clearing the NCC path through the woods, used in winter for SJAM ski trail. Champlain Park Community Association funded treats and prizes so all proceeds from registration would go to charity. Our Councillor, Jeff Leiper, was there and spent most of his time as Marshal on the course, standing and cheering beside the path in the woods as runners went by. What a good sport! An estimated 100 parents and kids showed up in Halloween costumes again this year. First and foremost, they had a lot of fun dressing up, attempting to run in costumes, and eating a little pre-Halloween candy!
We forgot to take photos this year, but this is what it looked like last year:
Just a reminder that the garage sale is this weekend, June 2 2018, see https://champlainpark.org/garage-sale/ for details (like rain date, hours, what to do with leftovers).
As described in https://champlainpark.org/spring-cleanup/ this Saturday (or Sunday) is the Spring Cleanup day. If you find anything interesting, send in a photo!
The carnival organizers would like to thank:
- Jason Keats for his delightful balloon animals.
- Jim Kot for preparing and supervising the rink.
- Linda Landreville and Kathy Kot for working the coffee and ticket tables.
- Dennis Van Staalduinen for donating gift cards for the chili cook off.
- All the Champlain Park residents that contributed baked goods and chili.
We’d also like to thank Carol Arnason (Social event coordinator) and the community Winter Carnival event organizers Natalie Raffoul and Sarah Kotyck for putting the whole thing together.
By the way, the horse drawn sleigh did get past the fence for the very first time. Here’s a good photo Dennis tweeted:
It’s going to be busy in the park this weekend and we hope you will be able to join us with your family and friends for both of these winter events – the Winter Carnival on Saturday and SJAM Winter Trail Celebration and Ski Festival on Sunday.
Our Winter Carnival event organizers are asking for your help with the following, if you have some free time for a few hours:
- Help with running and assisting with the rink activities during the carnival – if interested please contact: Jim Kot phone 613-722-7519 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Help with providing Chili or Chili cook pots – please contact: Sarah Kotyck email: email@example.com or Natalie Raffoul email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks, we appreciate your support and hope you have fun!
Here’s the Ski Festival schedule from Dave Adams:
Scenario – SJAM Winter Trail.pdf