We begin with massive thanks to Jim Kot for his many years of loyal service as rink co-ordinator in Champlain Park. And welcome our new outdoor rink operator Jason Ilacqua who has signed up with the city to run the rink (see https://ottawa.ca/en/recreation-and-parks/skating/outdoor-rinks for details – our community association doesn’t have responsibility for the rink).
New Rink Coordinator
Hello. My name is Jason Ilacqua. I am the new City of Ottawa rink volunteer at Champlain Park, starting in the winter of 2019.
Last year I volunteered for the first time at the rink behind my house after seeing the news about the city looking for volunteers. I was featured on CTV News Ottawa (https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1583979) and CBC Ottawa Morning radio (https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-100-ottawa-morning/clip/15659650-rink-volunteers?share=true)
I can be reached at 613-867-1994 and firstname.lastname@example.org Please contact me for rink availability, special events and booking arrangements.
I am looking for 3 to 6 dependable people to help with supervision 20+ hours a week (weather permitting) at Champlain. I am offering volunteers payment of $10 per hour.
Paid volunteers are required to:
- Be minimum 14 years of age.
- Have a police record check (cost covered by the City of Ottawa).
- Must own a cell phone in case of emergencies. Be able to call 911 and report any incidents.
- Commit to working 3 to 6 shifts per week (evenings and weekends). Typical supervision hours are 6 to 9 pm Monday to Friday, 10 to 4 pm Saturday / Sunday.
- Work starting the end of December and ending February 28, 2020.
I will also need help from the community with snow clearing. I will ask the Champlain Community Association to reach out to members when significant snowfall is expected. I can use all the help that I can get. High school students can earn Community Volunteer credit hours by helping out.
It’s time to dust off your skates and get them sharpened… Come out and enjoy our community rink and have fun with your family and friends!
The first day of the rink is always weather dependent, it’s not usually sooner than December 27 but not later than January 1st. The official last day is February 28, weather permitting the Rink Coordinator will try to keep open as long as he can.
Rink conditions will be updated at https://www.ottawarinks.ca/en/rink/champlain
Don’t forget to bring your helmet! Skate safe, have fun!
Hours of Supervised Operation:
Monday 5 pm to 8 pm
Wednesday 5 pm to 8 pm
Thursday 5 pm to 8 pm
Friday 5 pm to 8 pm
Saturday 11 am to 3 pm
Sunday 11 am to 3 pm
* Weather permitting. Rink will be closed during heavy snowfalls and poor weather conditions.
** Hours subject to change. Hours will be posted on chalet door.
*** Groups can reserve rink time by contacting me at 613-867-1994.
**** There will be extended hours during special community events (winter carnival, SJAM Festival, Bonfire).
Specific Ice Times:
Women’s hockey Unknown – group leader please contact the rink organizer.
Hockey for kids 10 and Under Unknown – group leader please contact the rink organizer.
Hockey for kids 11 to 14 Unknown – group leader please contact the rink organizer.
- Only if the group is related to our neighbourhood will a permit be considered after regular hours of operation.
- During the day the school has priority.
- People from Tunney’s Pasture can use rink during lunch, no permits are required.
- Special events can be scheduled as long as it does not interfere with regular public skating hours, some exceptions can be made.
While the rink is open, our field house’s exterior restroom and change room are available.
See https://champlainpark.org/category/community-news/outdoor-rink-odr/ for late breaking posts about the rink, such as emergency shovelling requests.