We need volunteers for Block Captains to assist in helping us to make our community a safer place for all residents under the Neighbourhood Watch program.
The duties of the Block Captain will offer very little change in lifestyle for the citizen involved. Rather, they provide a means for the Block Captain to meet his or her neighbours, as well as a vehicle for making the community a safer place to live.
Block Captains duties can include:
- Supervising the Watch activities of the community members who join Neighbourhood Watch;
- Responsible for 1 city block, or similar designated territory;
- Assisting in welcoming new neighbours;
- Assisting Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator with meetings;
- Encourage neighbourhood participation in the Neighbourhood Watch program;
- Serve as a liaison between Block Captain and community members, including channeling information;
- Attending the Neighbourhood Watch seminars or workshops that may be conducted from time to time;
- Inform Watch members of Neighbourhood Watch techniques, such as how to observe suspicious activity, what to observe, and similar crime prevention techniques; and
- Provide incentive for community members to continue their crime prevention efforts.
Watch members: community members who participate in Neighbourhood Watch; they report suspicious activity to their Block Captains, for instance.