Following up on Lazy Bay Commons: Trees Not Embassies, Heather writes:
A key gain is that The NCC’s parkland commitments have risen from a low of 9.2% of the site in their initial proposal, to 17.9% in their amended proposal, to the current 24.3%. Among other agreed-upon conditions are some that will limit the amount of outdoor surface parking. A perfect ending would have been for the entire site to be retained as part of the Ottawa River linear park, but, at least as far as we know, only one embassy currently has any interest in taking out a long term lease on NCC land at Lazy Bay Commons. Most of the site should remain greenspace until or unless others show interest.
Mechanicsville’s Press Release: https://bigtreeskitch.wixsite.com/trees/single-post/settlement-announced-on-lazy-bay-commons
CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/embassy-row-mechanicsville-deal-approved-1.6786880
At the meeting on January 24, the CPCA Board voted to donate $250.00 to Mechanicsville’s Lazy Bay Commons, Trees Not Embassies Legal Defence Fund. Background is here: 20230124 Presentation Lazy Bay Commons.pdf This unique cause has the support of our Councillor, our MPP and our MP, community associations and other volunteer organisations in Ottawa. Ottawa City Council rejected the NCC’s Application to build embassies in this location.
The NCC appealed Council’s decision to the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT), the “independent adjudicative tribunal responsible for resolving appeals and applications on a variety of contentious municipal and land use planning matters.”
Mechanicsville continues to raise funds to hire a Professional Planner and Lawyer, so they can participate meaningfully in the Appeal process. Donations may be made here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/trees-not-embassies-legal-defense-fund
Champlain Park Community Association (CPCA) Board Meeting
Tuesday January 24, 2023
7:30 PM via Google Meet
Board meetings will have an open session for community residents to observe business discussions. Non board community members will also be invited to participate at certain times by the chair and there will be “in camera” topics for the board members only. Please contact the secretary via firstname.lastname@example.org to request a link to join the meeting.
- Approval of minutes of Nov 3 and Dec 12 2022 – Liz
- ONCA: Ontario Not for Profit Corporations Act – Lynne
- Deadlines and Proposed Process
- FCA Insurance Working Group: – Lynne
- Update on Rink Accident Insurance
- changes expected in how CA’s will be insured when current insurance expires June 1, 2023
- Comparison of volunteer coverage for bodily injury (Rink vs Other CPCA volunteers)
- P&Z update on FCA project on recommendations to improve the CofA process. (H.Pearl, 5 minutes)
- Traffic problems at IPD/Scott – H. Pearl, 5 minutes
- Jeff Leiper brings together reps from the City (traffic planning, OC Transpo, OPS), NCC, RCMP and affected communities to seek ways to mitigate traffic problems associated with Scott / IPD / Parkway / Champlain Bridge nexus.
- Request for CPCA donation to Mechanicsville’s OLT process re: the Lazy Bay Commons (D. Buckles, 10 minutes)
- This agenda item is the outcome of an originally much more comprehensive request made by Daniel Buckles, to a subset of the Board members, just before the AGM last fall. A significant amount of information was exchanged, and a report generated, provided and (mostly) accepted.
- Voting by email – Lynne – Please respond
- Emails: avoiding the volume – Lynne
- Civic Engagement – Richard – 15 minutes
- Motion re Signage for the Rink – Liz & Dave – 5 minutes
- Other Business
- Next Meeting
Agenda last updated on January 23rd. Contact the secretary to add topics.