Here’s a message from Ahmed Zammar, of interest to parents looking for sports for their children. Note that they’re in adjacent neighbourhoods like Carlington or Bel-Air (south of Carlingwood).
Hey Folks… I’m with the Bel-Air Lions and Norsemen Football Club and we’re running free winter condition workouts Jan-Apr over at Severn Avenue Public School and Agincourt Road Public school Friday nights. Reach out to us for more details.
Champlain Park Winter Carnival – January 25
Free admission, sleigh rides, entertainment, hot drinks!
When? Saturday, January 25, 2020, Noon to 3 p.m.
Where? Champlain Park field house, park, rink.
Volunteer Organizers Would be VERY GRATEFUL if Neighbours Contact them to Help with these Jobs:
Field house: Set up / Clean up, Ticket sales, contribute a slow cooker and be in the chili contest (great prizes for winners), provide baked goods (make or fake, we won’t tell), help in the kitchen and lunch counter.
Contact Event Organizer, Erin Topping, to help at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-799-1770.
Outdoor rink and park: Organize outdoor games and fun on rink, assist seniors and children with boarding sleigh, help rink supervisor with shovelling.
Contact Rink Organizer, Jason Ilacqua, to help at email@example.com or 613-867-1994.
- Free Sleigh Rides: 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
- Free Entertainment: 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Entertainer Kristen Klein performing upbeat acoustic tunes)
- Free Balloon animals with creator Jason Keats!
- Free Coffee and Hot Chocolate until quantities run out! (Bridgehead – sponsor)
- Chili Cook–off Contest with great prizes!
- Lunch counter: Hot dogs, chili, baked goods for sale.
Spread the word! Bring friends and family to Champlain Park !
Snow, rain or shine this event will take place on the last Saturday in January.
Champlain Park Community Association (CPCA) Board Meeting
Tuesday January 28, 2020
7:30 PM at the Fieldhouse
Board meetings will have an open session for community residents to observe business discussions. Non board community members will also be invited to participate at certain times by the chair and there will be “in camera” topics for the board members only.
This is the final agenda, as of Sunday January 26.
- Approval of minutes of September 24 2019 – Liz
- Report of interim motions – all
- Budget review (Josh)
- SJAM signage (budget) – Adrian
- SJAM donation (budget) – Lynne or Josh
- Planning and Zoning incidental expense budget (budget) – Lynne or Heather
- Cabinet key copies – Lynne
- Responsibility for ice rink – Adrian
- Presentation of a brochure on tree planting and approval of a copy expenditure within budget of environment tree line – Daniel
- to discuss the CPCA writing a letter to Jeff Leiper requesting the City to support maintaining (e.g. trimming) large old trees in residents’ backyards – Michael
- Next Meeting
This week’s topics:
- Polar Plunge 2020.
- 2020 Thomas G. Flanagan S.C. Scholarship Award.
- Three new Neighbourhood Resource Teams.
Please welcome Alexandra Evershed as our new block captain on Cowley Avenue between Pontiac and Clearview. If you see something on her block, please let her know.
I just called up Jason the rink coordinator and he says the rink is open and there is supervision present this weekend at the usual hours. See https://champlainpark.org/park/the-rink/ for the details. Here’s what it looked like yesterday, finally frozen and flat:
This week’s topics:
- Protect your vehicle from theft – Locks can be easily broken.
See http://sjam.ca/ for more more up to date details about this winter sports event nearby at Remic Rapids, including weather conditions and entry fees.
COME AND JOIN US FOR A FUN COMMUNITY EVENT ON SUNDAY 19 JANUARY 2020.
- All ages XC Ski Scurry and Scoot fun races
- All ages Fat Bike Blast race
- Try out the GIANT multi-person Norwegian skis
- Check out our ski obstacle course, play on the snow hill, demo some gear, warm up with hot chocolate and enjoy our supporting partner booths
- Support two important local causes: The SJAM Winter Trail and The Snowsuit Fund of Ottawa