With the Champlain Park Community Association annual general meeting coming soon (October 29), it’s time to ask for volunteers to help our community as a board member. Of course, informal volunteering to help with an event or other activity is always welcome.
- You can ask to be nominated for any of the listed board positions.
- Names of current nominees are listed on the chart. Most are current Board members who are willing to stay on. However, all positions are open to further nominations.
- We have a position called “Member at Large”. This allows people to be on the board without a specific “portfolio” and to contribute in a variety of ways as per your interests. Some of our current board members started as Member at Large and then “specialized”.
- Please see the organizational chart to get some ideas of how you might contribute if you are interested in becoming a board member or other type of CPCA volunteer. Note the chart will be updated after elections at the AGM.
- If you are thinking of joining the board in the future, attending some of our open executive meetings (advertised on our website) is a good way to familiarize yourself with the work of the community association.
You may also want to see the agenda for more about the meeting, including guest speakers (notably talking about the recent river flooding).
Thursday, Oct 17, 2019 at 7pm in the Fieldhouse
- This year’s Enviro accomplishments – i.e. reviewing the 2019 Enviro Report
- Please bring your ideas and suggestions in helping our community make a difference in our environmental footprint
- Discuss future plans and call for volunteers for projects for upcoming 2020 year
All are welcome!
This week’s topics:
- Apartment rental scam – Deposit paid before seeing the already occupied apartment or parking spot.
- STEP in October – Distracted driving, speeding.
Laurie Fagan informs us about the next garden club meeting topic, this Tuesday:
Berit Erickson was in a quandary about what to do with her front lawn after she lost a huge tree in January 2017. She started reading, and reading some more and even more when she realized the answer was creating a corner pollinator garden.
The transformation has been incredible and she’ll share her story with slides at our October meeting next Tuesday the 8th at 7:00 pm. Read more about it at https://cornerpollinatorgarden.net/about-my-garden/
The meeting will be in the field house at Champlain Park, corner of Cowley and Clearview. Drop is fee is $5.00; all are welcome.
Here’s a quick photo essay of the core work cycle at the depaving ceremony this morning. There were other things happening too, like a kids amusement spot with pumpkins and paint (they helped out near the end, moving small road fragments), an outfitting area and sponsored snacks. Hopefully we’ll have time to write a longer story later and give credit to the people and groups who helped with the depaving event.
The pick-axe crew at work, digging up the slabs.
Loading slabs onto the wheelbarrows. Councillor Jeff Leiper (in white) lends a hand.
Back and forth the wheelbarrow convoy goes.
Lining up to drop off asphalt squares. The front end loader lifts batches of them up into the dumpster.
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/506124356611489/
More info about the trail: https://champlainpark.org/sjam-winter-trail/
Since the trail is funded and run by volunteers, they need to raise the money to keep it running (gasoline, snowmobile repairs and that sort of thing) this winter. You can donate to them in the usual ways, or visit the fundraiser, where they are auctioning off or giving away some interesting items (see https://twitter.com/SJAMWinterTrail for teases).
Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Mill St. Brew Pub Ottawa
555 Wellington St., Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1C5
Champlain Park Community Association (CPCA)
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
Tuesday October 29, 2019
at the Champlain Park Fieldhouse
All community residents are welcome to come for a meet and greet with refreshments at 6:30 pm, followed by the business meeting at 7 pm.
Community Association Memberships can be purchased at the door.
Chair: Nick Xenos
Report from City Councillor:
Financial Report from CPCA Treasurer:
Election of Board for 2019/20:
Guest Speaker (30 minutes):
Michael Sarich, Senior Water Resources Engineer, Ottawa River Regulation Planning Board will be providing updates on 2017 and 2019 river flooding and will take questions from the audience afterwards.
- Approval of minutes of previous AGM 23 Oct 2018 – Liz Gyalokay (2 minutes)
- Reports from the Board (5 minutes each)
- Membership Report– Jennie Hornosty
- Civic Engagement – Roland Dorsay
- Social – Carol Arnason
- Planning and Zoning – Heather Pearl & Lynne Bankier
- Environment – Daniel Buckles and Adrian Bradley
- Other Business
For information about the board election, please see our call for candidates.