Goals and benefits of spreading wood chips on the National Capital Commission (NCC) trails and pathways within NCC woodlands buffering onto the Champlain Park Community
- Physically improve walk-ability, accessibility and overall safety on the trails and pathways
- Wood chips keep paths from becoming muddy. Muddy paths lead to trampled vegetation beside the path.
- Wood chips provide a mulch that improves soil organic matter and nutrients for trees and shrubs nearby
- Present an Eco-friendly / no cost option for disposing of locally collected and chipped trees/shrubs (reduce cartage costs and pollution, reduce landfill use, enriching the local soil base);
- Generate awareness about the SJAM trail networks; and
- Foster community awareness and engagement (private, public, corporate) in the maintenance and preservation of natural urban green space.