Due to the rain and generally miserable weather on Saturday, and fieldhouse scheduling conflicts, the Spring Cleanup has been moved to Sunday April 28. Meet at the fieldhouse at noon (not 10). See https://champlainpark.org/2019/04/19/spring-cleanup-2019/ for the rest of the details.
As mentioned previously in https://champlainpark.org/2019/02/07/garden-club-speaker-on-lichens-february-12/ Everybody welcome, though there is a $5 fee for non-members.
From: Judy Billingsley
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM
Subject: Champlain Park Garden Club meeting
Just a reminder that the February garden club meeting, that was postponed due to weather, has been re-scheduled to tomorrow, Tuesday, February 26th. Our speaker is Irwin Brodo, scientist emeritus at the Museum of Nature, who will present a slide show of the lichens of Ontario. The meeting will start at 7:00 p.m. in the field house in Champlain Park, corner of Cowley and Clearview.
Hope you can make it
Champlain Park Winter Carnival – January 26
Free admission, sleigh rides, entertainment, hot drinks!
When? Saturday, January 26, 2019, Noon to 3 p.m.
Where? Champlain Park field house, park, rink.
- Free Sleigh Rides: 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
- Free Entertainment: 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Sing Song Party Time with Children’s Entertainer, Derek McKinley)
- Free Balloon animals with creator Jason Keats!
- Free Coffee and Hot Chocolate until quantities run out! (Bridgehead – sponsor)
- Chili Cook–off Contest with great prizes!
- Lunch counter: Hot dogs, chili, baked goods for sale.
Details at https://champlainpark.org/2019/01/16/winter-carnival-january-26/
The Sir John A. Macdonald winter trail has been a great success and we’re proud to have a portion of the route in Champlain Park.
To celebrate, a family-oriented ski festival is planned for Sunday, Jan. 20 2019, with a gathering point at Remic Rapids. On the agenda:
- 9:00am Photo-op for the Official Opening of the SJAM Winter Trail. Group photo of the main people contributing to the trail (including our CPCA representative) at Champlain Park, public are free to watch, followed by a ski and walk to Remic Rapids.
- 10:00am 1km Ski Scurry (age 10 and under)
- 10:30am 5km Ski Scoot (age 10 to grandparent!)
- 11:30am 5km Fatbike Blast
Registration is requested as numbers are limited. Free for kids, $10 for others. If weather is very bad, the event is cancelled. There’s lots more to find out, including how to get a ski bib. Please consult http://sjam.ca for details.
Just a reminder that the Meet and Greet (with refreshments, everybody welcome) starts tonight at 6:30pm at the fieldhouse, and the AGM follows at 7:30pm.
Come and meet people in your neighbourhood. Then stick around to vote on the community association board for the next year (memberships are available at the door if you want to vote or just support our community activities).
One way of keeping up with the many things happening in Ottawa is to subscribe to the City’s newsletters. Here is the link to the registration page, with checkboxes for a couple of dozen topics you can sign up for.
There’s also https://ottawa.ca/en/news for press releases and other pieces of news (there’s an RSS feed if you want to subscribe to those). As you can guess, there’s also a French version at https://ottawa.ca/fr/sujets-de-lheure
Just a reminder that the 2018 Fall Activities are starting soon. These are:
Another busy season! See the full calendar at https://champlainpark.org/full-calendar/