From https://mailchi.mp/theroyal/mental-hygiene-challenge, #MentalHygieneChallenge
Joining us is easy! Just take 10 minutes every day throughout March 2022 to do simple, research-based activities that support your mental health. These 10 minutes can be done all at once, or broken up into shorter intervals – it’s up to you!
It’s fun, it’s free, and no special equipment or skills are needed.
Sign up below and you’ll receive:
- a list of mental hygiene practices that are easy to do, recommended by mental health experts at The Royal
- a free digital calendar to track your progress
- links to helpful resources and how-to videos
- an invitation to our virtual launch event on March 1 to help inspire and motivate you!
The goal here, of course, is to see how you feel after 31 days of practice. And who knows? The small changes you make might be the beginning of a big boost for your mental wellness.
Also see The Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre Facebook Group for the Challenge.
Here is a nugget of information from their Good hygiene for your mental health article:
Start your own your mental hygiene practice today
Guillaume Tremblay recommends spending at least ten minutes every day doing one of the following activities. (Pro tip: if you choose an activity you enjoy – and do it at a time that fits your schedule – you are much more likely to stick with it over the long term.)
- Meditation or mindfulness exercises (there are many free apps and podcasts to guide you)
- Focused deep breathing
- “Prosocial” prayer (with themes of thanksgiving, praying for others, gratitude)
- Journaling (writing about positive experiences or expressing gratitude)
- A walk in a natural setting
You can also combine activities, such as taking a walk in the woods while thinking about the things for which you are grateful or listening to an “eyes open” mindfulness meditation. As Tremblay writes: “These kinds of deliberate and intentional exercises foster cognitive patterns conducive to well-being.”