Champlain Park Families celebrate winter with sleigh ride, outdoor activities on skating rink and SJAM ski trail, socializing with neighbours and enjoying musical entertainment in field house at Winter Carnival 2020!!!
Carol Arnason, Social Coordinator on the CPCA Executive reports a large turnout of neighbours and a very successful party on Saturday afternoon, January 25, 2020.
The Champlain Park Community Association (CPCA) sponsored the free sleigh ride by Chris and Sharon Kelly, and musical entertainment by Kristen Klein. Costs in running the event were covered by the CPCA and a donation from the Wellington West Business Improvement Association (WWBIA). Prizes for the Chili Cook-off were also generously sponsored by the WWBIA.
We welcomed visits from our elected representatives in all three levels of government: MP Catherine McKenna, MPP Joel Harden, Mayor Jim Watson, City Councillor Jeff Leiper. We also met our new community police officer, Darren Joseph.
City of Ottawa rink operator, Jason Ilacqua had the rink in good shape. Dave Adams groomed the SJAM ski trail up to the door of the field house.
Many thanks from the Champlain Park Community Association to the following enthusiastic volunteers who made it a memorable fun event:
- Erin Topping and Kelly Archer were the awesome organizers of Winter Carnival 2020. Community volunteers are vital to ensure that we are able to offer such events and we really appreciate the considerable time and effort that you both contributed!
- Valerie Glaude organized outdoor activities for children.
- Jason Keats, creator of balloon animals, kept the children amused indoors.
- Linda Landreville and the Bolger family helped serve food and hot drinks.
- Bridgehead supplied free hot chocolate and coffee.
- Neighbours donated lots of delicious chilis and baked goods for the lunch counter.
- Carol Arnason, who stepped into the Social Convenor role (as this Board position is still vacant) to ensure that we had another successful winter carnival!
Photos by John Arnason:
We also received a thank-you note from the mayor:
Champlain Park Community Association_thank you letter_February 5 2020.pdf